The Benefits of Sponsoring Kids Sport
The World Cup, Super Rugby, Shute Shield. Large international brands such as Emirates, HSBC have become synonymous with professional sports. With supporters having strong emotional ties to sports, businesses know they can score some wins by sponsoring in a variety of ways.
But sports sponsorship isn't just a game for large businesses. Many smart small businesses invest in sponsoring local community sporting clubs. Some consider their sponsorship a charitable contribution and others, a form of advertising. Either way, it's a mutual relationship that pays off for the sponsor and the club.
Some of the benefits are outlined below.
- - Increase of awareness of the company's products and services. Each sponsorship package has benefits for the sponsor built in: field signage, website advertising, company name on uniforms, etc. Through a sponsorship, a company's brand will be in front of the youth sports market of parents, coaches, event organisers, players and spectators.
- - A welcomed form of advertising. In most settings consumers are inclined to tune out advertising. Although many traditional ways of reaching consumers are failing, kids sports sponsorships are a positive and engaging way to market a brand. Parents like to see the companies that are supporting local clubs.
- - Help keep the cost of kids sports programs down. Player participation fees cover the majority of the costs of a kids sports program but support from sponsors provides additional resources which can help keep participation fees down. With manageable fees, more families are able to afford to sign up and that means more children being able to receive the many benefits of sports.
- - Outstanding value for the dollars invested. Although sponsorship package costs vary from club to club, they commonly range from $100 up to $5,000 or more. When comparing the cost of other marketing outlets like print, television and billboard advertising, kids sports sponsorships can be a great value and a smart option to include into the marketing mix.
- - Build goodwill. Companies that sponsor kids sports programs make a positive contribution to their community. Overall this can evoke a community wide feeling that a company understands the impact and importance of sports for their children. This feeling can instill loyalty among a business' current and future customers.
We know $500 from a local company to our club goes a long way to offset the rising costs of our sport. But what the company may find is that their sponsorship also goes a long way to strengthen the bond between their brand and their community.